Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 808 on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:38 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

[FEEDBACK] General Feedback for Sekkara

A place where Setch Dreskar and Angry Joe can work on their board games and pen and paper systems.

[FEEDBACK] General Feedback for Sekkara

Postby Setch_Dreskar on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 am

Putting this up as a general feedback board, note this is feedback for the Sekkara roleplay system only and not for Joe's board game project. Feel free to post your thoughts, keep them constructive and respectful.
Angry Army High Command

Setch_Dreskar

Re: [FEEDBACK] General Feedback for Sekkara

Postby Mopeykiller on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Hey Setch amazing work with Sekkara I'm really enjoying reading all your information about the world. I love what you've done with Freidriksburg the history of the city is fascinating and seems like the perfect place for a story to begin. If only dragon age's Kirkwall was as interesting and diverse as Freidriksburg I would have been happy to be stuck in the city for the entire game.
Keep up the great work!!
Mopeykiller

Postby brutalskars on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:57 am

As for someone making his own RPG system/fantasy world. I have to say, this is really neat. I like the little facts and stuff you have put in.

Personally, I like using a d20 in my games. But by no means 'D20 OGL' and to an extent not even 'Pathfinder OGL'. I'm working on my own stats, gear, classes, abilities, etc. So I really understand the undertaking that design is.
I will keep up to date on this forum reading what you put up mate. It is very interesting to me as a fellow creator.
A.K.A. Zeodeoleo
brutalskars

Re: Building the System - WIP

Postby Herr_Alvaro on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Ok, I like your post... you simply want to use d20 system and update it to fit your needs... it can be done :D

Most of what you wrote is easy to do, just a few changes... for now I would tell you to focus in your main concern "Parry/riposte and backstab system"
Now, here´s the pickle :lol:

Before anything I would like to make a comment hoping for your feedback... a combat system that includes Parry/Riposte could easily become a pain in the ass because the combat has the potential of becoming virtualy eternal...
I attack, you Parry
You attack, I Parry
I attack, you Parry, Riposte, I Parry... and so on.

From the start you need to keep in mind that endless combats can be system killers.

Now, using the D20 system I could offer you this simple rule...

A character can, parry/riposte a number of times equal to their Dex Mod... no Str ;) per round.
This apply for both sides, attaquer/Defender.

If you get attacked by multiple enemies, your ability DOES NOT STACK!!!, you can do it as many times as your Modifier allows it.

Well, I would like to read from you before continuing... keep in mind that what you want CAN BE DONE!!! :mrgreen:

Best Regards
Herr_Alvaro

Postby Setch_Dreskar on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:45 pm

The parry/riposte system physically cannot do that, nor was it ever going to be able to do that. Parry/Riposte will not be based on Dex or Strength, and I will not be using the D20 system, instead using it as a guidline. Also Riposte will act as a critical hit should you first be standing infront of the target, declare your intention to parry, pass the parry check (failure will leave you exposed to a critical strike), which will leave the enemy flat footed and allow you to get a hit on their turn.
Angry Army High Command

Setch_Dreskar

Postby mulebob on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:31 pm

So if you Fail the parry do you take a penalty?
and do you have to have a specific perk for the ability to parry. Because otherwise you are just giving everyone a saving throw for every melee attack, which could take forever.

Are there skills that cant be parried at all? Such as a mighty blow or reckless blow, or something of the like? (these can have penalties).

Do you suffer a penalty when trying to parry a small weapon with a large weapon? (your not going to parry a great sword with a rapier, you would dodge try and deflect some of the blow at least).

can you sill parry blunt weapons such as maces as morning stars? (A shield could be used against these.)

Is there a disarming function like slapping the sword out of the other characters hand?

How would shields, Dual wielding and weapons that are designed for parries work into the mix.

I know this leaves a lot of questions and could make the system allot more complicated in the end. But customization of characters is a good thing to have, so people can have their niche but make the system so each player has an Achilles heel as well.

So far as what i have read though i am liking the lore and the idea's you have, but remember each roll of the dice takes time, and sometimes arguing. So battles could take forever

but that's all I've got for now. Just some things to think about how they would work into your system if at all.
mulebob

Postby Setch_Dreskar on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:51 am

Specific weapons will have what they can, if at all, be parried by. For instance a normal shortsword can be parried by all items capable of parrying (Short swords, long swords, parrying daggers, rapiers, small/medium shields etc.) However a claymore, or certain heavy weapon require a medium shield to even attempt a parry, swords can be broken attempting to parry the heavy weapons as the sheer momentum and weight of the weapon coming in would cause it to rend the blade, or buckle/splinter the shield. Things classified as shield breakers (war hammers, great clubs, heavy maces, etc) can't be parried due to the momentum carried through the attack.

This also affects blocking, specific weapons (as stated above) are designed to punch through shields or shatter the arm behind the shield but are also heavy and cumbersome to use.

Also you can only parry if you are directly facing the target, if they are to your flank or at an angle you cannot parry (Flanked) or take a penalty to parrying (angled). Should you fail the parry it is assumed you shifted your weapon/shield out to deflect and open the enemy for an attack thus leaving yourself exposed which not only means the enemy automatically succeeds their too hit roll but gets to roll an extra dice for damage.

The ability to parry can be used by anyone, however it is checked against your Finesse statistic, the higher this statistic the better odds you have of following through with the parry. So a 'knight' using the generic thought of a big guy in armor can attempt to parry a blow but since they have to put so many points into strength and body to effectively wield the armor, their finesse is low. This doesn't mean they can't swing the sword, but maneuvering it in a specific way to deflect a blow is a tough challenge for them. Someone who focuses on finesse can more easily parry, but you have to be careful focusing on just parrying opponents since there will be a lot of weapons that can never be parried and the later you get into a campaign GM's can throw in combatants who have high swordsmanship and will completely negate your ability to parry.

There are skills that can be used to negate the ability to parry at all, though these are reserved for higher level characters when its assumed that through their life of adventure they can develop into skilled swordsmen able to more easily pick away at weaknesses in an enemy's defenses. For early ability to prevent parries you can use heavier weapons, but again those are slower and can leave you exposed.

There is also the fatigue mechanic, no you won't suddenly get tired, but its a way to simulate what swinging a massive weapon, or holding a 90-150 pound draw bow will do to the user. In case of heavy weapons it will begin to lower the users defenses making them take hits easier and more severely while holding a bow for too long will wear the user out and cause them to accidently loose an arrow and/or take a to-hit penalty.

There is also a disarm function, however you either need to take a specific skill to do this on your turn, or succeed a parry and give up the ability to do damage to the target, to instead disarm them.
Angry Army High Command

Setch_Dreskar

Postby mulebob on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:26 pm

ok sounds like a really good system you are making here, partly because whenever yo parry it is a gamble because you could be taking extra damage if you mess it up but if you have the proper finesse it could negate the attack entirely.

sounds like you have put some good thought into the weaponry and many weapons were meant for specific purpose, but fell off in others and in most games this representation is lacking so i am happy you have thought of this :)

How is the fatigue factor going to work? Maybe every 10 turns a player takes a fatigue point which has a maximum exhaustion level? This could be done with each player just having a d10 and a d4 in front of them during a fight, for every 10 turns of the d10 you take a fatigue penalty and you use the D4 too keep track of fatigue points. if you want to get really fancy people could create slide rules, but most people have dice so i think that works better.
This system could of course be changed if the player has a specific perk that allows greater endurance in a fight, or possibly certain races/classes could only take a maximum of 2 or 3 fatigue points. Im loving your ideas so far though, its a fresher new look on combat that could really give some variety that most games a lacking.
mulebob

Postby mulebob on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:55 am

hey i know its a double post but its been a little while so i figure it alright.

i had a bit of an epiphany earlier on an easy way to scale the weight of weapons on weather they could have the option of parrying each other.

simple enough give the weapons a number representing size and weight. 0-6, 0 being weapons such as daggers and 6 being the heaviest weapons, such as a Great Maul(or a tesubo) or Great Axe. Now too make the system simpler a weapon can only parry within 2 places of itself on this scale normally(there can be exceptions). I figure for every point that you go up or down you take a -2 on your penalty to parry, thus representing a weapon that heavy a difficult to block, or a weapon that is too nimble to block at the same time, still possible but much more difficult.

You could also make it so that they could go beyond the 2 categorical in each direction. Going down it could continue in the same way but make it progressive, 3 places adds -3 making it a total of -7 and 4 adds -4, and so on and so forth. Now with going up it will be a bit different, if you go beyond the 2 places, you will actually require a strength test to even hold onto your weapon after you make the parry (at this point it is a far slower weapon but the size difference is so great the problem is holding onto your weapon at all) In addition to that blocking a larger weapon has the potential to break yours. Now im not entirely sure how to work in the weapon breaking rolls, perhaps work them in the same way as a sunder weapon skill would work but just backwards. I think if you fail your parry you could roll a D4 and on a 4 you hold onto your weapon, a 2 or 3 you drop your weapon, and on a 1 it breaks or shatters. Now as of this point i am unsure how to fully do the smaller weapon parrying the larger weapon rolls. but i had the thought for an idea and i figured id share it. So hope you enjoy :)
mulebob

Postby Killburn on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi,

I just recently stumbled over Angry Joe´s Youtube Channel and watched a fiew videos, visited the website looked a bit around and suddenly saw someting very interesting i totally did not expect to see at all.
So that said actually some Friends of mine and myself actually do work for around 13 Yeary by now on our Completely own P&P system and so i decided to take a look at yours cause i really do love Pen & Paper.
So basically i havent yet read all off your PRogress because when i started reading i thought... Well we do have som experience with it why not try and give him some basic advice. So off course your free to take it or not but i will read all of your stuff that you read over the next few days.
And first of all i want to give you some help with your starting we discovered over the years you need to have set to actually work effectively andnot later have to revise all your work.

1. You should decide on Characterblankform. How many basic attributes you want to use? You want to use a wide variety of alot of attributes (like 20) or you want to use a basic setting of like 3? The abbilities will most likely just come while you develop and play the Game.
2. Your dice System. Which dice you want to use? do you want to use more than one type? (w20 or smth like that)
3. Very important that before you do ANYTHING about the world is that you draw a map. Draw a map and think about the paces you are creating. What kind of PEople live here. What kind of relationship they have to thheir neighbours? etc. ( and boom you have races, nations, and a basic political setting) (the more details of the scenery will be created by the master while u play and you simply cant create a whole world just by thinking it out in a reasonable amount of time (like 15 years fulltime work).

And than i highly recommend to just start playing while you work on your system with 2-3 fiends while u yourself master the game.

that is basically it. I hope u consider my advice. And have a wonderfull time.

T.P.
Killburn

Next

Return to The Workshops